Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

"The Walking Man"

I am still trying to recover from a 11 mile hike at Oak Mountain State Park this morning. Curbie and I got on the trail about 6 am this morning before the heat set in. We started on the yellow trail which was full of ups and downs as it crossed the foothills. It was nothing very difficult but there was just a lot of it. I was looking for the yellow/white connector sign but I never saw it. We wound up at park headquarters road around 9:30. We went down the road until we hit the red trail and went back to the North Trail head from there.
By the time we got out the heat index was over 100 degrees and we were both soaking wet. I drank all my 2 liters of water and Curbie hit every creek we crossed. She and I shared a fig newton which she seemed to like as much as I did.
My age is showing because I left my cell phone on the kitchen counter. I specifically put it on the charger so I would be prepared. I am now going to have to put together a packing list even for a day hike.
It was so hot today that I saw almost no wildlife. Curbie chased a squirrel and a chipmunk but that about all we saw. I thought sure I would see a deer or some turkey but nothing was moving.
From a physical fitness standpoint I held up very well. I was tired at the end and my right knee was sore but other than that I was fine. I will have to find my hiking boots before I go to Texas because the hiking shoes I am wearing in Alabama will not be sturdy enough for the rocky trails of Big Bend National Park. I am putting a MSR Miniworks water filter on my wish list.

2 comments:

  1. Water is so iffy to find in Bibe that I always carry all of mine. Sometimes you can stash some near where a path crosses a road but not often. Check the guys at Bigbendchat.com about water places and stashing water. I only do dayhikes but some of them last 10-12 hours and the pack gets heavy with water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally leave a water cache at the Homer Simpson Ranch house. When making the outer mountain loop I usually find water at Fresno Creek and sometimes at the upper Juniper spring. On this trip I will leave water at the ranch house and hope for water at the spring. Since there may be as many as 4 in the group we will be well watered to start out with each person carrying 6 liters of water. Since the first two days will be in the Chiso's water usuage will not be as high. I think we will be good till Fresno Creek.

    ReplyDelete