Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

The start of the trip to Big Bend


On September 15, 20009 I quit smoking after 45 years of more than a pack a day habit. I had tried to quit many times before but was never successful. This time I but them down and have not picked you up since. The problem came in the form of extensive weight gain on top of already being overweight. Beginning in late October, I made another life changing decision: Lose all the weight. I started working out at the gym at Dawson Baptist Church in Homewood, Alabama. One thing led to another and now I am working out 5 days a week for an average of over 2 hours a day. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I get to the gym at 6 am for an hour spin class. I then do my core exercises for another 30 to 45 minutes. Then I put on my backpack and get on the treadmill for another 45 minutes. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I work out with Stephen Blackwell, my personal trainer, for an hour then I get back on the treadmill with my backpack for another 45 minutes.

Why do I torture myself like this? Well, I am 62 years old, soon to be 63 in October, and I decided to get in shape, get active and enjoy life. Backpacking has always been a hobby of mine and I decided to get serious with it. I am taking my son, nephew and possible one of their friends to Big Bend National Park in January for a week long backpacking trip.

I have been making this trip for many years since my old friend Dr. Ed McGuire from my old home town of Monroe, Louisiana introduced me to the park in the mid 1980's. As we have gotten older we have quit backpacking but would truck camp in the back country of the park and photograph.

But now I want to get back to backpacking, which meant that I had to get into top notch shape since I was taking some young men who are not that experienced at making a trip like this. Big Bend National Park is a wild and inhospitable place at times. It is the least visited park in the Park System but one of the most beautiful.

As I write in this blog I will relate more about the park and what keeps me coming back almost every year. This blog is not meant to be as much about me telling anyone about my experiences but more about me putting my thoughts in writing and staying motivated to the end goal. Maybe one day my grandson, Jack Wesley, will read this and understand his Papaw a little better.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! Of course, the picture is breathtaking. I think it looks GREAT! Keep it up!

    HB

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea, Bill. I look forward to following your journey. How special this will be for jack wesley to read one day. Keep up the hard work! We are so proud of you! You are an inspiration to us all. Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every backpacking trip I plan involves a rigorous training, exercise, and diet regiment. And the training, exercise, and diet almost always (no just always) gets neglected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven, as I have gotten older this becomes more and more important. Cardio used to be my main focus but now I have to add flexibility and strength to my training regimen because the body is not what it used to be. Thanks for being a follower and I hope you come back.

    ReplyDelete