Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

"Down That Dusty Trail"

Robert Earl Keen is one of my favorite singers. Even though I am not one of the biggest country music fans (other than Willie, Patsy, George and Waylon) I am kind of partial to the Texas boys. The title to his song "Down That Dusty Trail" is appropriate for the trip to Big Bend and for that matter around here if it does not rain soon.
The heat and humidity in Birmingham is horrible. Karen and I were out yesterday afternoon and it was stifling. I was going to the Sipsey Wilderness for a day hike tomorrow but I think it is too hot to drive all that distance and not be able to enjoy myself. Instead, Curbie and I will go to Oak Mountain State Park and do the Yellow trail instead. We can get an early start and be out before it gets too hot.

3 comments:

  1. Please don't let my dog get lost. Or rub in poop again. Take plenty of water and your phone in case you have a heat stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are not aware of Bigbendchat.com please go there for help. Karen carrying a cell phone is not normally worth the weight because they do not work in 99.9% of the park. I loved playing at Oak Mountain a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oak Mountain State Park is a nice little park with some nice variant in the topography. The trails are well maintained and it is not crowded. You can kind of get lost in your thoughts out there. I am looking forward to spending some time in the Sipsey though. Curbie and I will do a weekender up there in the fall. Barnie, thanks for looking in on my little blog that is more like a diary.

    ReplyDelete