Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Single Digit Midget

I am now coming down the home stretch. I have completed preparing my first aid kit for the trip. I decided rather than make sure everyone has their own first aid supplies, I would just make sure my kit is complete. It was not very much additional weight but better safe than sorry.

All my clothes are now prepared to go. I have yet to decide which stuff sack they will go in however I am leaning toward using my compression bag (even though heavier than I like) because I will need the room in my pack. The unanswered question will be does the jacket get strapped to my pack for easy access or does it go in the compression bag? I think I will wait to see what the long range forecast will be. If it looks like it will be in the 40's during the day I will want easy access for stops. Because the wind blows constantly in Big Bend, you will get chilled easily when you stop for rest.

My food bag is still in a state of flux and probably will be till next week when I finally decide whether to take prepackaged freeze dried food or utilize instant rice mixed with chicken and/or tuna. I can augment this type meal with some dehydrated fruit. My lunch will be a combination of Slim-Jim type protein, some dehydrated fruit and a couple of Hershey chocolate miniatures. Breakfast will be Pop-Tarts.

I will be taking 6 liters of liquid at a time. I will start with 2 liters of water in my platypus that is connected to a hose coming out of my pack to my harness so that I can drink without taking my pack off. I have a 2 liter dromedary bag that I can fill as I need it. Outside of my pack will be 2 liters of water in smart water bottles and 2 liters of Gatorade that can be used as water bottles once I finish drinking them. I will have some powdered Gatorade packets in my pack if I want to flavor some water.

I will need to top off my fuel bottle and make sure it is working properly. We will have 3 additional stoves on the trip so if my stove breaks down we will have plenty of backup. There will be 3 tents on the trip plus my tarp. That will be perfect in case we hit any real in-climate weather like snow. I think that is highly unlikely but you need to plan for it anyway.

I carry a survival kit just in case I get separated from my pack for any reason. That is all together and ready to go. It just includes a fire-steel, water purification tablets, a pinch light, whistle, compass and small knife. I carry it on a carabiner hanging off my belt.

I will begin to check and double check my list over the next few days. Since work is always slow this time of the year I have the time. Counting down.......


1 comment:

  1. So excited for you. Can't wait to see the photos. Have a great, safe trip.

    ReplyDelete