Search This Blog

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Heaux, Heaux, Heaux



A Facebook friend of mine greeted me this way yesterday and I thought it was unique, so I borrowed it. I hope each and everyone of you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. This time next week I will be somewhere in southeast Texas heading along I-10 to Fort Stockton, Texas to spend the night before the last push into Big Bend National Park.

My pack is ready to go as evidenced by the embedded photo (hopefully). I think my final weight with water will wind up being around 38 pounds. That is not too bad considering 13 pounds of that is water and 5 pounds is food. I could leave my hammock at home but I do not want to sacrifice the comfort when I am in the mountains.

I hope that Santa was good to all. Karen got me a new camera for my trip. Olympus makes a imaged-stabilized waterproof and shockproof camera (Olympus 8010) that I will be toting around. It is designed specifically for underwater and backpacking. As hard as I am on gear this is just what I need to document the trip.

Emily got me a Leatherman multi-tool for any small gear repair and light cutting that I need to do on the trail. I like it because it does not have all the unnecessary tools that just add weight but I never use. It is basically a pocket knife with pliers and wire cutting capability.

I spoke with Mother and Dad this morning a wished them a Merry Christmas. I expect that the kids will call later this morning. I hope that Jack Wesley had a wonderful Christmas morning and enjoyed all the trappings.

We are awaiting snow this afternoon in Birmingham. If it does then this will be my first White Christmas ever. I am always like a kid in a candy store when it comes to snow. I can't get enough of it except when on the trail. Then I would just as soon do without it.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas. 5 days and a wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment