Search This Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2010

My log book of my first trip to Big Bend

Karen found my log book of my first trip to Big Bend National Park from back in the mid-80's. I want to be able to compare this log book to the one I will be keeping on this trip. The biggest difference will be that I will adding pictures to the new one.

"Saturday night--January 2. Arrived ranger station at 10 p.m. Called Hope and told her I loved her. We drove to the road near Blue Creek ranch house. It was a beautiful full moon--We hiked about 3/4 of a mile (a little exaggeration) and hid 2 two gallon water bottles. The coyotes were howling in the distance. It was incredibly beautiful in the moonlight. It reminded me of an old western movie. We then went to the basin campground. Ed (McGuire) slept outside while Lane (Ed's son) and I slept in the tent. The temperature was in the mid 20's. My new down parka (Wes is taking it on this trip) works like a charm. I'm sitting on the tailgate of the truck and I am warm as toast. Getting ready to go to bed. I will write more tomorrow."

"Sunday morning--7 am---Got up and made breakfast-sausage biscuit and coffee--temp is 21 degrees. The sun is coming up and shining on the mountains--I'm warm---Sleeping bag was very warm. Thinking about you Baby. "Love You"
Lunch 1 pm. 1/3 of the way to Elephant Tusk--I am a screw up--Pack is not done right--will fix tonight. Beautiful country. Had tea for lunch, a cookie and beef jerky. We have stopped in a draw and temps feel warm but it is only about 40 degrees. Getting ready to go and I will see you at the campsite with a sore back."

"6:30 pm---Thinking about you--we are on the backside of Elephant Tusk. It was a very long hike. My back and shoulders are very sore, but I will be better in the morning. You will not believe what just happened. A full moon just rose over the mountains and it is quite spectacular. We ate supper and I had hot chocolate, beef stew and a piece of Hershey bar. It was really very good. All the tents are pitched and in ship shape. We will settle in soon and get some sleep. I hope you sleep well and I love you very much."

"6:20 Monday night--camped at the trail head of Dodson Trail and Juniper Springs Trail. Yesterday was a walk in the park compared to today. Up and down mountain ridges until I thought I would die & then just a mere 6 mile hike cross country. We started at Elephant Tusk, walked to Tortuga Mountain, hit the Fresno Creek, then Dodson Trail and then to the campsite. I am so tired I am almost incoherent. I am going to eat and then finish. Thinking about you right now"

"7:20 pm just finished supper--rice and beef, hot chocolate. It was good. We are watching stars tonight but I am too tire to get interested. I am fixing to go to bed."

"Tuesday night 7:20 pm---I am on the South Rim-It was the most strenuous exercises I have ever done. I really did not think I was going to make it. We hiked 9 miles from the Dodson/Juniper Springs trail head almost all uphill. At the Juniper Spring some javalena's tried to chase us off. From there it was 5 miles almost straight up. I am very tired. Last night the temp was 28 degrees--Tonight up on the rim it will be much colder. The wind is blowing very hard---Ed says we may have the worst behind us. I hope he is right. Love you, miss you and the kids."

"6:30 pm Thursday---Everything did not go as planned. We left the east rim and traveled to the South Rim down Blue Creek Springs trail to the Ranch House. But it took us to 2:oo pm and we did not have enough water from the trip so we dehydrated. Our water cache was still there so we filled up on water and decided to stay there rather than try to make it to Fresno Creek. Lane sprained his ankle on the trail so we are worried about him. I taped his ankle with the ace bandage and he says it feels better. I am really starting to enjoy this. I am losing weight and getting in better shape. Love You"

"7:05 Thursday night: Camped somewhere in a deep canyon on Fresno Creek. (Unreal day!!!) Hiked from ranch house down Dodson Trail to Elephant Tusk Trail, crossed Fresno Creek and took the Creek route. No one hardly ever does this and I found out why. The creek goes into a deep canyon that once you go down into it you cannot come back up. There were huge plunge pools-a couple of which were over my head. Ed had to jump down into the pool and swim out but Lane and I were able to act like flies and cling to the rock walls and get around them until I slipped and fell into the pool feet first. Luckily it was only up to my thighs so I did not get completely wet but it was cold. I gave Ed some dry clothes because he was about to go into hypothermia. I was scared but thrilled at the same time. It was very dangerous but we committed to go so we could not turn around. We are now camped on a small cliff overlooking the creek and it is very beautiful. The creek is gurgling and the water is crystal clear. It is obvious we will not get back to the truck until the middle of the afternoon. Our best estimate is that we have got at least 6 miles to do tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you and the kids-Love you-call you tomorrow."

What I remember most about that trip was that I did not have an appreciation for the beauty of the place, nor have the respect of how hard a trip like this was. I have learned over the years to soak up the beauty and to give the park all the respect it deserves. I will be interested as how the young whippersnappers feel about the place after their trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment