Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tallulah "Bankhead" and "Sipsey" Rose Lee

I know, I know. That is a pretty cheesy title but it is the best I could come up with. I would think any younger readers (if there are any) would say "Who?". For the younger set Tallulah Bankhead was an actress in the 40's and 50's. Gypsy Rose Lee was a famous stripper during the vaudeville days. But I am actually talking about Bankhead National Forest and the Sipsey Wilderness in Lawrence and Winston Counties in North Central Alabama. This area is probably the most popular hiking and backpacking trails in Alabama because of the abundance of waterfalls, hemlock canyons and rock outcroppings.

I acquired a very good map of the area from CartoCraft on Tyler Road in Birmingham. The trails seem to be laid out very well on the map along with other points of interest. If the tropical weather system that is supposed to be in the gulf around the weekend does not interfere, Curbie and I will go up there and look around. I want to do some hiking and exploring some of the trail heads and just get a feel for the country. When you get a chance to put boots on the ground in an area you have never seen before then it is not as intimidating for a solo hiker.

I am becoming more and more comfortable with hiking by myself (at least as far as human company is concerned). The hardest part is just getting out the door and trying the adventure. The more times you do this the more comfortable you get. I am old enough and experienced enough not to get crazy and I understand the risks. For me it all about slaying the demons of the past.

1 comment: