Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Home on the Range

Curbie and I did not venture out this weekend because of the hot, humid and possible morning thunderstorm forecast for the regions. Curbie does not like thunder so I did not want to subject her to that two weekends in a row.
I was sitting at the computer this morning surfing the web looking for interesting things to read or view. I always like to see how other people do things hoping that I might improve the way I do things. I also confess to being one of the worlds worst gear heads. The internet proves that I am not alone in this affliction. Most of the backpacking forums have a section specifically for gear. So I thought in the oft chance that someone might actually read this blog other than me and a couple of my close friends and family, I would provide a list of the gear that I use to pack with.

I know that this seems self-indulgent and it is. But of course keeping a backpacking blog may be the ultimate in self-indulgence. However, if this helps someone better understand the sport or creates discussion then it was worth it.

So below is a listing of most of the gear that I will be using in Big Bend in January. Packpack Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian Ultralight
Sleeping Bag Marmot Down Mummy Bag 25 degrees
Tent Marmot 1 man backpacking tent with fly (freestanding)
Sleeping Pad Thermarest mini self inflate (25 years old)
Stove MSR Whisperlite
Hydration MSR Dromedary Bag (2 Liter)
Hydration 4 Nalgene bottles (1 Liter)
Water Filter MSR mini works
Illumination Princeton headlamp
Minimag flashlight
Orienteering U. S. Army lensatic compass
Silva Clear plastic compass for map work
Cold Weather clothing Cabellas Down Parka (25 years old and stuffable)
North Face polar fleece stocking cap
Columbia Fleece pullover
Capalene thermal tops and bottoms
Magellan long sleeve simplex shirt
Magellan zip out legs cargo pants
Smart Wool hiking socks
North Face ski gloves
Hat Bandana
Tilley ventilated hat
Raingear North Face rain pants
Magellan poncho
Boots Merrill Moab mid-length hiking boots
First Aid MSR first aid kit (25 years old)
Cooking MSR cook kit (25 years old)
Food Backpacker Pantry
Utensils Lexan Spoon
Lexan measuring cup to also be used as drinking cup
Miscellaneous Granite gear stuff sacks (4)
Tent, sleeping pad and backpacking repair kit
Nikon Travelite binoculars
Emergency whistle with small compass and thermometer
Maps
Garbage bag (take out trash and can be used as pack cover)
Swiss Army knife (subscription gift for Outside magazine years ago)
Towettes individually wrapped
Pillow case (stuff parka into for sleeping)
Plastic entrenching tool
Ziploc bags (1 gallon size)
Moleskin for blister prevention
Sunscreen
Earl Grey Tea
Equal (cant leave home without it)
Trail mix (with M & M’s)
One large Hershey bar (to get up the last of that mountain)
Fig Newtons
Melba toast (whole wheat)

1 comment:

  1. UNBELIEVABLE, BILL!
    I ate your lg Hershey bar and your Fig Newtons are next.Re-prepare, Man Scout!

    ReplyDelete