Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Out My Back Door

I have lived in my home in Hoover since 2004 and have been oblivious to my surroundings.  Karen and I own a wonderful place in the city of Hoover that has huge boulders and almost two acres of woods right in the city.  I enjoy going on hikes and have traveled great distances just to partake in my hobby. 


 Sometimes you should open your eyes and take notice of the things around you.  Less than a quarter mile away from my home is a new city park called Moss Rock Preserve.  The city of Hoover and a group of volunteers have turned a scope of urban forest into a great place to hike, boulder or just enjoy nature.



Reading the website for the Preserve you find:
A perfect balance of nature and community, Moss Rock Preserve is a beautiful 250 acre nature preserve abundant with trees and plants, rock outcroppings, streams, waterfalls,  wildlife and other unique natural features.  Currently Moss Rock Preserve is home to four rare species of plants and a rare variant of Little River Canyon Sandstone Glade - one of only 35 occurrences known around the world! 


My first trip to the Preserve was this summer on a morning of 90 degrees and 95 percent humidity.  I was utilizing the hike as part of my effort to get in shape.  I was less concerned about my surroundings as I was putting in some miles.  So Curbie, who did not go the first time, and I headed to the Preserve with a little water, some snacks and a camera.  Our goal was to see all there was of the preserve and enjoy what was forecast as a nice warm day.  


The preserve is a mixture of boulders, creeks, rolling hills and a variety of plant life with scattered sightings of birds.  The volunteers have identified many species of trees and marked them with informative signs.  



The Boy Scouts, especially the Eagle Scouts (I am proud to be one), have built bridges and made improvements all over the preserve.  I ran into a group of scouts with a mule setting trail posts while I was there.  I believe they were from Troop 21 in Bluff Park.  





The creeks were running deep and clear allowing Curbie the Wonder Dog to enjoy several swims after running with other dog friends she met along the way.  Since the weather forecast proved correct the late morning brought out a lot of Hooverites and their pets.  







I understand from my nephew Clay that the preserve has become a popular bouldering destination.  While I was there I did not notice the activity other than kids doing what they like best---climbing and screaming.  I guess that if solitude is what you are seeking then you will have to go early because later in the morning the kids are in the preserve having a ball and letting you know it.  Unfortunately, being an urban park the noise of the city can be heard later in the day.  Traffic sounds along with a locomotive were heard.  There are a couple of subdivisions surrounding the park and barking dogs can be a distraction.  


I will enjoy this area of Birmingham more in the future when I do not have a trip planned and just want to get out and enjoy the scenery.   If you live in the area and have not walked the preserve I encourage you to do that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment