Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I have been busy with life

I have been negligent in my duties to my blog for the last couple of weeks.  I have not been hiking or camping since my ill-fated trip on the Pinhoti, but I have not given up my passion, just life getting in the way.  Nothing earth shattering or newsworthy, just moving furniture, bad weather and some light yard work.

Tonight I will attend my first meeting of the Cahaba River Sierra Club meeting at the Hoover Library.  Jay Hudson, a volunteer leader of my hiking club and a true naturalist, is giving a presentation on the fauna of the Alabama woods and forests.  I am not a big joiner and certainly do not consider myself much of an activist but I like Jay and want to hear what he has to present.  I certainly want to see our wilderness and forest areas preserved and given the state of the economy it may be left up to us to make sure that happens.

I will file a report tomorrow and let everyone know how the meeting went.

PS.  I have discovered a blog that I find truly interesting.  I know you will not be surprised that it is about the Big Bend area.  A gentleman by the name of John Wells, a former fashion photographer from New York, sold everything he had, purchased 60 acres outside of the gates of Big Bend, and built a one room house off the grid.
John blogs everyday about his adventures of living alone, living off the grid and truly living by his own wits.  You can find him at http://thefieldlab.blogspot.com/

He was recently visited and written about by the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment