Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Everyday life

No hiking this weekend and that is a shame (maybe I go out Sunday and get in a short day hike).  I am working on a new piece of business (I actually do work for a living.  Yes. it is true) and they want to have a conference call at 10 am on a Saturday morning.

So now it looks like I will get out next weekend and do some hiking in the Bankhead National Forest with the Sierra Club group.  Yes, I joined the Sierra Club.  I used to be a member when I was in Louisiana but it lapsed over time.  So I am back to being a tree hugger.  Not really but I am concerned about the environment and I want to preserve the wilderness areas, national forests and public lands for future use.

I enjoyed the Sierra Club meeting night before last.  Jay Hudson's presentation was very informative and insightful.  He basically talked about the diversity of plant and animal life in Alabama and how quickly that diversity is beginning to diminish.  Alabama has the lowest amount of public lands as a percentage of total land in the US.  That means the availability of parks, wildernesses and national forests in Alabama is very limited.  If we only had a median share what a boost to tourism that would be.  Unfortunately our politicians are too short sighted to see that.

The explorer has a leak in the radiator and I need to get that fixed in the next week or so.  I need the ability to be mobile without leaving Karen without a car so the time is now.

Just thought I would throw in a picture of the basin in Big Bend National Park.  I am ready to go back.

If you have not checked out The Field Lab blog I encourage you to.  I think it is self assuming on my part that I am writing like I am talking to someone.  I just assume at a point in time someone will actually come and read about my little corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment