Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Road Takes a Short Detour

We all have people who were great influences on our lives. This weekend I will along with many of my family members pay homage and honor to one of the most profound influences on my life, my Dad. Dad will be 90 years old on November 4. Since I have to be out of town that day Emily, her husband David and I will be going to Baton Rouge this weekend for the first birthday party Dad has ever had. Karen will not be able to attend because we do not have anyone to keep the dogs (this fact made Dad a little sad because he loves to talk to Karen).

Dad was always an outdoorist, he loved to hunt, fish, walk in the woods, bird watch, animal watch, just anything attached to being outdoors he loved. I guess that is where I got my love for outdoors and the activities that I enjoy doing. He did them at a time when not everything was hi-tech and there were still many places you could go and not be stopped by fences. For that I will always be jealous. But for passing on his love of outdoors to all the boys, I am forever grateful.

Sometimes life is not fair and there are times when the world seems to be closing in on you, but one thing remains constant-you can always go for a walk in the woods and things do not seem that bad anymore. But I digress. Many of the grandchildren and great grandchildren will be at their house Saturday to honor the man that we all love so much. Even though he and I do not always see eye-to-eye (mainly because as Karen says "you are Jimmy Keith") I always have respected Dad for his uncompromising outlook on life.

So Dad, get prepared for the onslaught of kids, grandkids and mostly those precious great-grandchildren that we come to see the great man on Saturday and may God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment